Re: How to manage WAL

From: Albert Shih <Albert(dot)Shih(at)obspm(dot)fr>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to manage WAL
Date: 2010-02-11 23:32:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

Le 11/02/2010 à 17:00:33-0600, Kevin Grittner a écrit
> Albert Shih <Albert(dot)Shih(at)obspm(dot)fr> wrote:
>
> > I would like to known what's best way to manage the WAL.
>
> You should design a policy which meets your particular needs. We
> keep two PITR base backups and all the WAL files from before the
> start of the first (based on the information in the backup file)
> through current. We also save monthly archival PITR base backups
> with just the WAL files needed to restore them (again, based on the
> backup files). Your needs may be different.

Hum...I'm not sure I really understand what you doing.

Maybe I'm doing everything wrong but this is what I did :

t=0 SELECT pg_start_backup('label');
rsync /pgsql backup_server:/
SELECT pg_stop_backup();

t> 1 cron with rsync /WAL backup_server:

but after some time the /WAL become big. So is it a solution to
stop the database, delete everything in /WAL and begin a new cycle (t=0 select etc...) ?

Regards.

JAS

--
Albert SHIH