Re: Memory Usage and OpenBSD

From: Jeff Ross <jross(at)wykids(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Memory Usage and OpenBSD
Date: 2010-01-27 22:46:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff Ross <jross(at)wykids(dot)org> writes:
>> Running a simple select only pgbench test against it will fail with an out of
>> memory error as it tries to vacuum --analyze the newly created database with
>> 7500000 tuples.
>
> Better look at the "ulimit" values the postmaster is started with;
> you shouldn't be getting that out-of-memory error AFAICS, unless
> there's a very restrictive ulimit on what an individual process can
> allocate.
>
> regards, tom lane

Thanks!

OpenBSD makes a _postgresql user on install and it is in the daemon class with
the following values:

daemon:\
:ignorenologin:\
:datasize=infinity:\
:maxproc=infinity:\
:openfiles-cur=128:\
:stacksize-cur=8M:\
:localcipher=blowfish,8:\
:tc=default:

The OpenBSD specific readme suggests making a special postgresql login class
and bumping openfiles-cur to 768 but I don't see how that helps here. Would
bumping stacksize also help?

Jeff Ross