Re: Memory Usage and OpenBSD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Ross <jross(at)wykids(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Memory Usage and OpenBSD
Date: 2010-01-27 23:42:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeff Ross <jross(at)wykids(dot)org> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Better look at the "ulimit" values the postmaster is started with;

> OpenBSD makes a _postgresql user on install and it is in the daemon class with
> the following values:

> daemon:\
> :ignorenologin:\
> :datasize=infinity:\
> :maxproc=infinity:\
> :openfiles-cur=128:\
> :stacksize-cur=8M:\
> :localcipher=blowfish,8:\
> :tc=default:

> The OpenBSD specific readme suggests making a special postgresql login class
> and bumping openfiles-cur to 768 but I don't see how that helps here. Would
> bumping stacksize also help?

Huh --- that looks okay to me. The stacksize is not what you're hitting
(and 8MB is plenty sufficient anyway, at least unless you like recursive
functions). I concur with the readme that 128 open files isn't much,
but that's not what you're hitting either. The only thing that comes to
mind is that on Linux there are several different ulimit values that are
related to maximum per-process data space. I don't know BSD very well
so I can't say if datasize is the only such value for BSD, but it'd be
worth checking. (Hmm, on OS X which is at least partly BSDish, I see
-m and -v in addition to -d, so I'm suspicious OpenBSD might have these
concepts too.)