Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server
Date: 2010-01-14 18:30:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Andy Colson wrote:
> So if there is very little io, or if there is way way too much, then
> the scheduler really doesn't matter. So there is a slim middle ground
> where the io is within a small percent of the HD capacity where the
> scheduler might make a difference?

That's basically how I see it. There seem to be people who run into
workloads in the middle ground where the scheduler makes a world of
difference. I've never seen one myself, and suspect that some of the
reports of deadline being a big improvement just relate to some buginess
in the default CFQ implementation that I just haven't encountered.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com