Re: Slow "Select count(*) ..." query on table with 60 Mio. rows

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow "Select count(*) ..." query on table with 60 Mio. rows
Date: 2010-01-14 18:25:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> The content was already there, just not linked into the main FAQ
>> yet:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Counting
>>

> For a question asked this frequently, it should probably be in the
> FAQ. I'll add a link from there to the more thorough write-up.

There's a whole list of FAQs that are documented on the wiki but not in
the main FAQ yet leftover from before the main FAQ was hosted there. You
can see them all at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

I just haven't had time to merge those all usefully into the main FAQ.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com