Re: 'replication' keyword on .pgpass (Streaming Replication)

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 'replication' keyword on .pgpass (Streaming Replication)
Date: 2010-01-07 12:44:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> However, wouldn't it make more logical sense to replace "host/hostssl"
> with "replication/replicationssl" rather than overload the database
> field?

It makes more sense to me to overload the database field. When you
connect for replication, you're not connecting to any particular
database, but to a special walsender mode.

Note that 'local' makes sense for replication too; you can connect for
replication via a Unix-domain socket. Replication isn't a connection
method like host/hostssl/local are.

--
Heikki Linnakangas