Re: unresolved bugs

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unresolved bugs
Date: 2010-01-07 07:54:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
>> Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Actually it's Brucezilla.
>> hmm maybe I should resurrect the bugzilla testbed again :)
>
> If we're going to use a bug-tracker, Bugzilla wouldn't be my first
> choice, I don't think. Honestly what I'd like better than a
> full-fledged trackers is just a webapp that lists all the unreplied-to
> emails in the pgsql-bugs archives. That wouldn't of course tell you
> if a bug got a reply that didn't actually resolve the issue, but that
> doesn't seem to be very common anyway. Most times if nobody responds
> it's because either (1) it's not really a bug (user question, feature
> request, etc.) or (2) the person who is qualified to respond doesn't
> actually read pgsql-bugs.

*sigh* - that was mostly ment as a joke and not a really serious
comment. However the idea I actually had with BZ back in the days was
not to use it as a full fledged tracker(in the sense of exposing it to
users or developers)
Instead I would just use it as the background engine that does nothing
more than being subscribed to -bugs, tracks the stuff there and provides
an summary export about (not)replied to reports. If somebody later on
wants to annotate the emails/reports there (as in solved,open,moved to
todo,not a pg core question,whatever) fine - if not fine as well :)

Stefan