Re: Bug: PgAdmin not displaying typmod column types correctly in create or display

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: "Obe, Regina" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>, dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug: PgAdmin not displaying typmod column types correctly in create or display
Date: 2010-01-06 18:45:24
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 05/01/2010 23:16, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 04/01/2010 13:29, Obe, Regina a écrit :
>> I assume this is a PgAdmin III bug, but I could be wrong.
>> I'm using PgAdmin 1.10.1 on Windows, but seems to be an issue with even 1.8 since I tried on that too.
>>
>> The upcoming PostGIS 1.5 has a new type called geography that uses the Typmod functionality introduced in 8.3.
>>
>> I'm guessing this is a display bug in how PgAdmin is displaying typmod types.
>>
>> Details here
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/368
>>
>> What is interesting is if I do a select of the table in question, the geography header shows correctly as
>>
>> geography(Point,4326) or geography(Linestring,4326)
>>
>> so it seems its just in the
>>
>> CREATE TABLE ... that displays on the side panel of PgAdmin or when you select generate create script.
>>

> Seems you're right. It should be easy to fix, but I want to find if
> there are any corner cases. Anyways, I created a ticket for your bug:
> http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/125

The easy way to fix this is calling format_type in the query and giving
it the atttypmod column of pg_attribute. I can't find if there are
corner cases if I do this. Dave, do you know why there is a pgDatatype?
it seems redundant with format_type. And the latter seems to work well
whereas pgDatatype is surely wrong.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org