Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2009-12-31 19:53:42
Lists: pgsql-www

Guillaume Smet wrote:
> - we are sure the code repository won't go to trash because managed by
> some random company having problems or making the wrong decision for
> us...
> - I'll have to chose another place with CVS/Subversion repositories (I
> don't really want to use bazaar or git) and hope it won't be closed in
> the next few years.

That first issue here is a self-inflicted problem solved by
reconsidering the second one. The whole idea of having one master
version control repository where you'll be in trouble if you lose access
to it is obsolete. If you switch to a distributed version control
system where every copy of the repo is a sibling containing the full
repository, this entire issue goes away. Any copy of the repo can turn
into a new seed if something happens to where you've got another copy
hosted at.

This is actually the main thing that got me to finally adopt git: I can
never again get stuck where a loss of the master repo causes me any
problem whatsoever. The copy on my desktop, my laptops, and on github
are all the same, and as long as there's one left standing after a
disaster everything is fine. I've had quite enough of rsync'ing cvs
repos and svnadmin hotcopy.

> I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in this case and I'm also pretty
> sure there's a lot of projects that won't be moved and will be lost
> (either immediately or after a few years).

The flip side to this is that the many obsolete projects on there that
waste people's time when they dowload them and discover they don't work
anymore will finally go away. Just in the top 10 most downloaded
projects, about 1/3 of them haven't been updated in years and are
basically dead already. I would roughly guess that there's from 50-100
projects like yours that really need to be migrated somewhere if
pgFoundry is deprecated. I feel the community would be better off if
most of the rest disappeared, just to cut down on newbie confusion.
Having hundreds of half-baked projects in there isn't helping anyone.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com