Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-www" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2009-12-31 19:16:31
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thursday 31 December 2009 12:06:10 Guillaume Smet wrote:
> it's a good opportunity to have a lot of PostgreSQL projects
> gathered in one place.

I think there are two sides to this. One is that there is actually a danger of
concentrating a lot of our projects in one place. It makes the community more
insular, and also creates a perception in other development communties
(sourceforge/launchpad/github/etc...) that there is less postgresql related
activity going on than what is really the case.

However in general I agree that the postgresql project should try to promote
postgresql related software, however I don't think we need project hosting to
do it, and in fact I think that is the wrong way to do it. The software
catalog is a much better system for that, since it allows inclusion of any/all
projects and requires less operational overhead.

> I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in this case and I'm also pretty
> sure there's a lot of projects that won't be moved and will be lost
> (either immediately or after a few years).

Ah the delicious irony of life. Trust me there was no bigger advocate of this
position than me when we were shutting down gborg. I pestered people so much
on this idea, I think I even got Josh to move some dead projects to pgfoundry
before it was all over with. In time I have come around to the idea (which
everyone else held at the time) that if the code is valuable enough to keep,
someone will move it.

> I don't really see pgFoundry maintenance as something requiring a lot
> of time. Am I wrong?

I don't know how much time it requires, but I do know it's more time than we
have been able to come up with. For years.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net