Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, jd <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2009-12-30 13:02:16
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote:
>>> The major issue with hacking up gforge in the past was that noone
>>> bothered to document what was changed, not that it was hacked in the
>>> first place.
>> while I agree that this should have been done in a dedicated repo/branch in
>> an SCM at least the changes done in the last few years (a handful of
>> security fixes) have been at least discussed on the gforge-admins list.
>> And as I said before our changes have been minor so that is not really our
>> issue.
>
> As far as I've seen, they've been the main holdup in upgrading gforge,
> as noone willing the work on the upgrade had any idea what the changes
> were. If it weren't for that, we probably could have just installed an
> new version and upgraded as other gforge users do.

well simply diffing the original source with ours would have answered
that quickly :)
Also until guillaume started working on this the upgrade scripts in
fusionforge didn't actually work due to the fact that our version was
soo outdated.
I Think the main and only issue is that we never had a concerted effort
between somebody who knows gforge/fusionforge and the sysadmin team (or
the gforge team for that matter). I think due to the huge number of
"external" users pgf is by far the most complex to upgrade system we
have and simply nobody has stepped up to waste days/weeks/months worth
of time yet (well I spend a lot of time on various migration attempts in
the past which all died due to various reasons so I'm a bit biased).

Stefan