Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date: 2009-12-21 06:41:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> It was only with the 8.x versions that postgres
> really started pulling away.

Today I was re-reading a great reminder of just how true this is:

http://suckit.blog.hu/2009/09/29/postgresql_history

From the baseline provided by 8.0, PostgreSQL increased in speed by
about 8X on both read and writes sides between 8.1 and 8.3. Since 8.1
came out in late 2005, it's no wonder the "PostgreSQL is slow" meme got
so deep into people's memories--until only four years ago, it was still
actually true.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com