Re: explain output infelicity in psql

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date: 2009-12-10 18:12:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> I don't see much virtue of having these characters when there is only
>> one column.
>>

> So you can tell a newline in the data from a wrap due to line length.
> The need to be able to do that is not dependent on how many columns
> there are.

If that's really what we want then I think we're doing a terrible job of
it. Have a look at the output of:

select
E'xxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
as a, 1 as b;

How do we know from that where the linefeeds are, exactly?

cheers

andrew