Re: explain output infelicity in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Date: 2009-12-10 18:19:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> So you can tell a newline in the data from a wrap due to line length.
>> The need to be able to do that is not dependent on how many columns
>> there are.

> If that's really what we want then I think we're doing a terrible job of
> it. Have a look at the output of:

> select
> E'xxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
> as a, 1 as b;

> How do we know from that where the linefeeds are, exactly?

It works quite nicely for me ... in HEAD that is:

regression=# select E'xxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
as a, 1 as b;
a | b
xxxxxxx +| 1
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx +|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
(1 row)

regression=#

The point here is exactly that previous versions didn't show the
distinction well.