Re: Load experimentation

From: Ben Brehmer <benbrehmer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com, kbuckham(at)applocation(dot)net, scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Load experimentation
Date: 2009-12-07 19:12:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thanks for the quick responses. I will respond to all questions in one
email:

By "Loading data" I am implying: "psql -U postgres -d somedatabase -f
sql_file.sql". The sql_file.sql contains table creates and insert
statements. There are no indexes present nor created during the load.

OS: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704
(Red Hat 4.1.2-44)

PostgreSQL: I will try upgrading to latest version.

COPY command: Unfortunately I'm stuck with INSERTS due to the nature
this data was generated (Hadoop/MapReduce).

Transactions: Have started a second load process with chunks of 1000
inserts wrapped in a transaction. Its dropped the load time for 1000
inserts from 1 Hour to 7 minutes :)

Disk Setup: Using a single disk Amazon image for the destination
(database). Source is coming from an EBS volume. I didn't think there
were any disk options in Amazon?

Thanks!

Ben