Re: BUG #5224: After upgrading from vista to windows 7, postgres services are missing

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Sriram Gopalan <sriramgopalan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5224: After upgrading from vista to windows 7, postgres services are missing
Date: 2009-12-02 16:11:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2/12/2009 11:51 PM, Sriram Gopalan wrote:
> 1. After I reinstalled the latest version of postgresql, I do see a
> service called postgresql-8.4.
> 2. It is started automatically.

Yes, but is it *running* ? The service manager shows the current status
(running or stopped) separately to the startup settings. Check if it's
running.

Also: If you look in Task Manager, are there any "postgres.exe"
processes shown? (You'll need to show all users' tasks, since they run
under a different user account to yours).

> psql: could not connect to server: Cannot assign requested address
> (0x00002741/1
> 0049)
> Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port test?

er ... what? "port test" ? Did you mean to specify a port number and
just put the wrong thing in the wrong field, or did you really intend to
tell psql to connect to the port "test" (via servicename->port
translation presumably)?

What port is PostgreSQL listening on? Check postgresql.conf. The default
is 5432. Try connecting to PostgreSQL by port number.

As for the error message:

0x00002741 appears to be a name service error, which makes sense if the
system is trying to look up the service name to get a port number and
failing. Say, if it's deeply confused by being fed a non-numeric string
for a port number.

Specifically, it's:

Windows Error 0x00002741 - 10049
The requested address is not valid in its context.
WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL

> 4. I believe ever since I upgraded, the pg_log logs have been empty.
> There is nothing much interesting in the prior few logs (just info
> messages about starting up and shutting down etc.)

Not even server startup messages? When is the most recent log entry?

--
Craig Ringer