Re: Customize the install directory of the postgres DB

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: weixiang tam <weixiang(dot)ets(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Customize the install directory of the postgres DB
Date: 2009-11-13 20:51:25
Lists: pgsql-general

weixiang tam wrote:
> As we are bundling the postgresql db as our product release, we would
> like to keep the Postgres executable dir, Data Dir under our product
> folder. In this case, could I know whether I can customize the install
> directory when i do the RPM installation?
What you'd probably like to have here is what's called a relocatable
RPM. The RPMs provided for PostgreSQL are not relocatable. There's an
intro to how to restructure and rebuild a RPM to make it relocatable at
http://rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-reloc-building-relocatable.html ; it will
take several hours of work (most of which are spent waiting for
PostgreSQL to compile while re-testing) in order to do something similar
to the PostgreSQL RPMs.

It's painful enough you may just settle for a RPM that gets built with
the directory of your application passed in instead, which reduces the
trouble a bit (but not completely).

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com