Re: Partitioning option for COPY

From: Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Emmanuel Cecchet <Emmanuel(dot)Cecchet(at)asterdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitioning option for COPY
Date: 2009-11-12 00:53:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
>> I have extracted the partitioning option for COPY (removed the error
>> logging part) from the previous patch.
>>

> We can use an INSERT trigger to route tuples into partitions even now.
> Why do you need an additional router for COPY?
Tom has already explained on the list why using a trigger was a bad idea
(and I know we can use a trigger since I am the one who wrote it).
If you look at the code you will see that you can do optimizations in
the COPY code that you cannot do in the trigger.

> Also, it would be nicer
> that the router can works not only in COPY but also in INSERT.

As 8.5 will at best provide a syntactic hack on top of the existing
constraint implementation, I think that it will not hurt to have routing
in COPY since we will not have it anywhere otherwise.
> BTW, I'm working on meta data of partitioning now. Your "partitioning"
> option in COPY could be replaced with the catalog.

This implementation is only for the current 8.5 and it will not be
needed anymore once we get a fully functional partitioning in Postgres
which seems to be for a future version.

Best regards,
Emmanuel

--