Re: SQL Server

From: Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com>
To: bob(dot)vanslobig(at)att(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL Server
Date: 2009-11-06 12:46:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

bob(dot)vanslobig(at)att(dot)net wrote:

> At the same time, I am looking at reducing cost and thoughtabout
> switching from MS SQL to MySQL. Ialso thought of adding some kind of
> GUI front-end in order to use lesstechnical people to process data
> requests. In talking with a customer support person at a company that
> developsfront-ends, he suggested looking into PostgreSQL and that is
> why I am here.
>
> I did not see references to anyone moving from an MS SQLenvironment
> to PostgreSQL and was curious if anyone has had experience doingthat?
> Also, are there any suggestionsfor front-ends? I need something that
> cangenerate SQL commands but also allow a passthrough if someone
> needed to writetheir own.

Take a close look at PostgreSQL before you switch. MySQL is fine for
small projects and private web sites, but for anything serious you will
need the Enterprise license and support. The future of those is in
serious doubt right now given the state of Sun, which currently owns it,
and the possibility the European Competition Committee may prevent
Oracle from rescuing them.

If you do a Google Search on moving from MySQL to Postgres, you will
find a lot of sites with information on that conversion. There was one
project at work that did it several years ago, when MySQL AB switched to
the per server license fees. They found Postgres easier to use and more
stable. We now have three major products deployed using Pg and two more
on the drawing board.

PgAdmin III is the best admin front end. It is available on most
platforms, including MS-Windows. I use OpenOffice.Base as an application
front end.

Good luck,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP