SQL Server

From: bob(dot)vanslobig(at)att(dot)net
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL Server
Date: 2009-11-05 18:06:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 I am hoping that I am posting this question to the properlist.

I inherited a team of programmers that have theresponsibility to create mailing lists. Each member uses MS SQL, with either DTS, or SSIS scripts, and has hisown customers that makes them subject to peaks and valley’s. I am attempting to cross-train as well asstandardize the processes to make it easier to balance the workload.

In looking forward, I am getting close to the point ofhaving to add to the team, and after reviewing numerous resumes, have decidedthat the process we do, doesn’t really require high level SQL programmers, butdoes require a good understanding
of database structures and the tools necessary to mine data.

At the same time, I am looking at reducing cost and thoughtabout switching from MS SQL to MySQL. Ialso thought of adding some kind of GUI front-end in order to use lesstechnical people to process data requests. In talking with a customer support person at a company that developsfront-ends, he suggested looking into PostgreSQL and that is why I am here.

I did not see references to anyone moving from an MS SQLenvironment to PostgreSQL and was curious if anyone has had experience doingthat? Also, are there any suggestionsfor front-ends? I need something that cangenerate SQL commands but also allow a passthrough if someone needed to writetheir own.

I’d like the flexibility to increase my team at a minimalcost as we increase volume.

Any thoughts?