Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: On Windows, when a file is deleted and another process still has

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Luke Koops <luke(dot)koops(at)entrust(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: On Windows, when a file is deleted and another process still has
Date: 2009-09-13 18:47:55
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:44, Heikki Linnakangas
>>> Here's a patch implementing that, and changing pgrename() to check for
>>> ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION and ERROR_LOCK_VIOLATION like pgwin32_open()
>>> does, instead of ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED.
>
>> I have definitely seen AV programs return access deniderather than
>> sharing violation more than once for temporary errors. How about we
>> keep the access denied one as well?
>
> +1 ... presumably the original coding was tested in *some* environment.

Ok, I've committed that. Per quick discussion with Magnus, I also
lowered the timeout to 10s.

Luke, although your immediate problem was solved by the previous patch
already, this touched the same pieces of code, so you might want to
fetch the latest sources and retest if you want to be sure. (I did test
it myself..)

--
Heikki Linnakangas