Re: DECLARE doesn't set/reset sqlca after DECLARE cursor

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: DECLARE doesn't set/reset sqlca after DECLARE cursor
Date: 2009-08-14 11:02:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes írta:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 05:55:53PM +0200, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>
>> Okay, so it's a declarative command. But if we're in a function,
>> we should still emit a call to ecpg_init, to be able to follow
>>

> No, either it is declarative or it is not, but I don't see a reason for
> different behaviour depending on where the command is located.
>

>> the Informix behaviour. We can limit it it compat mode, though.
>>

> So let's first figure out exactly how Informix handles things. Zoltan, do you
> have access to esql the Informix precompiler? If so, please run two simple
> tests, one with just a DECLARE statement and one with a DECLARE statement in a
> function and post the results please.

Here are the two test files, with their preprocessed C output.
Indeed, Informix emits a function call for DECLARE CURSOR.
And it seems it's not legal to do this outside of a function.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Bible has answers for everything. Proof:
"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more

Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
http://www.postgresql.at/

Attachment Content-Type Size