Re: "Hot standby"?

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Hot standby"?
Date: 2009-08-11 18:48:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/11/2009 09:56 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Bruce Momjian<bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>

>> OK, so it is "warm slave".
>>

> That is technically accurate, given the preceding definitions, but it
> has disturbing connotations. Enough so, in my view, to merit getting
> a little more creative in the naming. How about "warm replica"?
> Other ideas?
>
> I agree that the present moniker misleads.

I remember this debate from 6 months ago. :-)

I prefer not to try and fit square pegs into round holes. Streaming
replication sounds like the best description. It may not be the keywords
that newbies are looking for, but too bad for them. Calling it something
different than what it is, just so that people who don't understand why
it is wrong will have something that approximates the right
understanding, is not a just cause. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--