Re: "Hot standby"?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Hot standby"?
Date: 2009-08-11 18:10:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 08:56:38AM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>>> OK, so it is "warm slave".

Why isn't it just a "read only slave". Do some systems
have read-only slave databases that can't serve as a warm
standby system as well as this one could?

>> That is technically accurate, given the preceding definitions, but
>> it has disturbing connotations. Enough so, in my view, to merit
>> getting a little more creative in the naming. How about "warm
>> replica"? Other ideas?
>
> Warm Read
> Streamed Copy

Master/Slave Replication and Warm Standby systems are common
enough terms that I can google them or look them up in many
computer science books.

While coming up with creative politically correct euphemisms
might be fun, I hope we stick near terms that other DBAs could
already be familiar with.

ISTM the best way to refer to it formally would be a
"Read Only Slave / Warm Standby"
system, even if informally we might have informal
discussions of "just how hot our slaves are" when hot-standby
features get added down the road.