Re: "Hot standby"?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Mark Mielke" <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Hot standby"?
Date: 2009-08-11 19:49:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc> wrote:

> This patch does not provide streaming replication?

There's a separate effort to provide asynchronous and synchronous
streaming replication. Different patch.

> "Hot standby" to me means "the slave is as close to up-to-date as
> possible and can potentially take over at any time in a near
> instance." This *implies* some sort of streaming replication (byte
> level rather than file-by-file) rather than waiting for WAL logs to
> become full and shipped.

Most of use would expect that from something called "hot standby".
That's why so many of us have been saying that the name is misleading.
This patch, as I understand it, would allow you to use the warm
standby to run read-only queries -- for reports and such, to take some
load off the primary database. No more; no less.

So it's still warm, not hot, and it's still usable as a warm standby.
It just lets you squeeze a little extra benefit from the copy while it
sits there periodically updating itself.

-Kevin