Re: navigation menu for documents

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: navigation menu for documents
Date: 2009-07-14 22:21:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 14 juil. 09 à 22:17, Andrew Dunstan a écrit :
>> For a very long time I have thought that it would be useful to have
>> some sort of navigation menu for the docs
>
> Oh yes, pretty please :)
>
>> Navigating the docs requires far too much use of the back button and
>> up links, IMNSHO. A menu frame would make them far more usable.
>
> No, please, no frame! Really...

Yes, really. What you suggest here is just not adequate, IMNSHO. I don't
want to have to scroll to the top or bottom of the page to get
navigation, and I want to be able to see the navigation and go where I
want directly.

I know some people have a violent aversion to frames, but I don't. They
have legitimate uses.

> What I'm thinking about is to extend current "breadcumb" at the top of
> the page to include chapter, section, subsection. So that for exemple
> the following page:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-geometric.html#AEN5480
>

> Would have at its top:
> Home → Documentation → Manuals → PostgreSQL 8.3 → Data Types →
> Geometric Types → Points
>
> Well the last entry, Points, I'm not so sure about. But I think you
> get the idea.

Compared with what things like doxygen or webhelp give you it's not
remotely what I want.

cheers

andrew