Re: Advertising standards WAS: Vote on Windows ...

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advertising standards WAS: Vote on Windows ...
Date: 2009-07-11 18:20:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 7/11/09 8:30 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I would ask you now why it is that we should act to remove a company's
> links on the training pages, yet do nothing to remove EDB's links on the
> installer pages?

If CertFirst comes back to us with "clean" training announcements, we
may accept them again (discussion currently on WWW). Further, several
of us have talked to CertFirst more than once; the issues with their
announcements currently aren't the first time.

Further, I would argue that the CertFirst training announcements supply
very little, if anything, of value to the community (there are plenty of
other trainers, and CertFirst's training is reportedly the lowest
quality) where the One-Click Installer is of tremendously high value to
the community.

CMD's advertising on the archives is of a similar nature; it might be
excessive, but the number of servers CMD hosts is clearly of large value
to the community. For that matter, *I* do a lot of speaking at
conferences on behalf of the PostgreSQL community where I plug
PostgreSQL Experts (or in the past Sun), because PGX pays my travel
expenses. Where's the line on this? How much is too much?

Rob Napier is correct in pointing out that we don't have clear standards
for this. They'd be very hard to write due to the need to balance value
provided because of the above.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.