Re: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...

From: durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...
Date: 2009-07-03 12:03:48
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi!

2009.07.03. 12:52 keltezéssel, Marcin Stępnicki írta:
> 2009/7/3 durumdara<durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> In the field definitions I cannot type varchar, because the other properties
>> are disabled.
>> I must type cha*, and if autocompleted, I need to hit tab + space + "v"...
>>
>> It would be easier if I can use "varchar", and "varchar" is automatically
>> changed to "character variable"...
>>

> Good point, but let me take notice that you should probably use "text"
> type anyway ;-). If you don't have a very good reason for specifying a
> limit, simply don't bother. There is no speed penalty in accessing
> "text" fields - in fact you can even gain a few miliseconds on
> insert/update, because the limit check is omitted.The same applies to
> "char".
>
> And personally I think that "text" looks nicer than "character varying" :-).
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-character.html
>
> Regards,
> Marcin

Sometimes your idea is good, but sometimes is not.

Normally some applications we used are limited field lengths in DB. Ok,
native apps like wrote in Delphi limits the fields in DataSets, but in
web I must check all input fields.
The truncation is good if I miss the checks...

Varchar sizes needed also if two of databases (f. e: PGSQL and DBISAM)
exchange some datas... In DBISAM the varchar is char that limited to 250
char.

So I use your "text" but not all times.

Thanks for your help:
dd