Re: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...

From: Marcin Stępnicki <mstepnicki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...
Date: 2009-07-03 10:52:39
Lists: pgadmin-support

2009/7/3 durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> Hi!
>
> In the field definitions I cannot type varchar, because the other properties
> are disabled.
> I must type cha*, and if autocompleted, I need to hit tab + space + "v"...
>
> It would be easier if I can use "varchar", and "varchar" is automatically
> changed to "character variable"...

Good point, but let me take notice that you should probably use "text"
type anyway ;-). If you don't have a very good reason for specifying a
limit, simply don't bother. There is no speed penalty in accessing
"text" fields - in fact you can even gain a few miliseconds on
insert/update, because the limit check is omitted.The same applies to
"char".

And personally I think that "text" looks nicer than "character varying" :-).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-character.html

Regards,
Marcin