Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 16:42:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> We already push and pull our release dates based are what in the queue,
>> we just do so informally. Why not just make it part of the process?
>
> I think we used to do it more or less like that, but people didn't like
> it because they couldn't do any long-range planning.

Does the current system help long-range planning?

I could imagine an enterprise plan that says "we'll upgrade to
the current production release in January [after christmas sales]";
or "we'll begin to upgrade the January after [feature-x] is in
production".

But in neither case does it help my long term planning to know if
the current version January release is scheduled to be called 8.4
or 8.5 or 9.1 (which is really all that the current system helps
me predict).