Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 16:55:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:51:28AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Tom wrote upthread:
> # If you find yourself with nothing else to do except review a new patch
> # during beta, then sure, go do it. But is there *really* nothing you
> # could be doing to help expedite the beta?
>
> My honest answer to this question is that I have no idea. It was
> pretty clear to me what I was supposed to be doing during CommitFest
> (reviewing patches) but a lot less clear to me what I should be doing
> during beta. I know that there was an open items list, but it was
> never really clear to me how I should help with that.

My feelings as well. During beta, there was clearly work for those with
experience in the areas with open items, and probably for committers
generally, but each time I reviewed the open items list I found little I could
do to help. If there's something I should have found, I'd love for someone to
point it out; in the meantime I tested betas and release candidates in
situtations common to my use of PostgreSQL, and found that it worked to my
satisfaction, after which I was left trying to figure out what to do, and
started dabbling in a patch or two that interested me.

> If a hamster
> and an elephant are trying to sit on the same bench, the hamster does
> not want the elephant to assert that he is a hamster; he wants the
> elephant to announce his choice of seat prior to putting his bottom in

Thanks, Robert -- this made me giggle :)

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation