Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

From: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC
Date: 2009-05-30 02:12:58
Lists: pgsql-general

John R Pierce wrote:
> Scott Bailey wrote:
>> Is there an equivalent to psql's \connect database or MySQL/MS SQL's use
>> database command that will work with JDBC? It doesn't seem like I should
>> need to drop the connection and establish a new one just to switch
>> databases.
>

> the \connect command disconnects from the current database, and connects
> to a new one, this causes a new postgres server process to be spawned to
> replace the one servicing the old connection.

Well at work we've got Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL and Postgres. So I
generally use Aqua Data Studio because it works with all of them. For
MySQL and MS SQL you register a single connection to the server and can
switch to any database. But with Postgres, you have to register a new
connection for every database because you can't switch once connected.

I just figured that if even Microsoft can do it, surely we can.

Scott