Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Martin Gainty <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC
Date: 2009-05-30 01:53:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Martin Gainty wrote:
> true
> scott was asking if you can utilise the same JDBC Type IV DB
> connection for both
> the original DB connection and utilise that same connection to connect
> to another
> DB (with a fresh set of database parameters)
> my answer is i do not know of a way to use the same connection for 2
> different DB's
> but perhaps a vendor/contractor/consultant such as yourself may know
> of connection mechanism which would dynamically switch the original
> connection from old DB parameters to new DB parameters?

and, for the 3rd time, one connection == one database. you close that
connection and open a new one to connect to a different database or as a
different user. thats how postgresql works, it has no other way of
doing that. this is independent of JDBC, its an inherent design
characteristic of the database server.