Re: getTiIme/Timestamp with TimeZone inconsistency

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: John Lister <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getTiIme/Timestamp with TimeZone inconsistency
Date: 2009-05-04 00:43:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

John Lister wrote:

> I agree the JDBC spec is vague, but I read the spec such that the
> supplied calendar is *only* used if the server doesn't support a
> timezone. I think my main concern is that setTimestamp behaves
> differently to setTime. I'm not sure which is correct (i'd tend to the
> former) but i think they should behave the same...

The problem is that there's a bit of a disconnect between the server's
idea of time / timestamp with or without timezone, and the Java
representations. java.sql.Time is just a hideous hack to begin with.
It's going to be at best a patch job getting them to fit together.

> I'm not sure what the correct behaviour should be if the server has a
> timezone and you specify one to use. Hopefully the app writer would only
> use this case for none timezone columns/results.... maybe too much to
> ask for :)

I'm reluctant to touch that date/time handling code without an actual
testcase showing a problem. It's quite fragile as it is, and small
changes can have unintended consequences :/

-O