Re: More message encoding woes

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More message encoding woes
Date: 2009-04-01 11:31:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Maybe use a special string "Translate Me First" that
>>> doesn't actually need to be end-user-visible, just so no one sweats over
>>> getting it right in context.
>
>> Yep, something like that. There seems to be a magic empty string
>> translation at the beginning of every po file that returns the
>> meta-information about the translation, like translation author and
>> date. Assuming that works reliably, I'll use that.
>
> At first that sounded like an ideal answer, but I can see a gotcha:
> suppose the translation's author's name contains some characters that
> don't convert to the database encoding. I suppose that would result in
> failure, when we'd prefer it not to. A single-purpose string could be
> documented as "whatever you translate this to should be pure ASCII,
> never mind if it's sensible".

I just tried that, and it seems that gettext() does transliteration, so
any characters that have no counterpart in the database encoding will be
replaced with something similar, or question marks. Assuming that's
universal across platforms, and I think it is, using the empty string
should work.

It also means that you can use lc_messages='ja' with
server_encoding='latin1', but it will be unreadable because all the
non-ascii characters are replaced with question marks. For something
like lc_messages='es_ES' and server_encoding='koi8-r', it will still
look quite nice.

Attached is a patch I've been testing. Seems to work quite well. It
would be nice if someone could test it on Windows, which seems to be a
bit special in this regard.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Attachment Content-Type Size
gettext-codeset-1.patch text/x-diff 8.5 KB