Re: A couple of bugs...

From: David Gould <david(at)networkltd(dot)eu>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A couple of bugs...
Date: 2009-03-19 10:46:22
Lists: pgadmin-support

Thanks for your prompt response.

I am currently running pgAdmin 1.8.4 on Vista for backup and XP for
restore. Server is 8.3.6 on the local machine in both cases.

Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:08 AM, David Gould <david(at)networkltd(dot)eu> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> There are a couple of bugs surrounding backup/restore.
>>
>> When you go to backup it doesn't just work - I haven't played around with
>> settings. On the command line it suggest that it's tried:
>>
>> pg_dump... -F -p ...
>>
>> Where what it should generate is:
>>
>> pg_dump... -F p ...
>>

> As far as I can see in the source history it's been hardcoded to -F p
> since the code was written in 2004:
>
> cmd.Append(wxT(" -F p"));
>
> It was changed for 1.10, but it uses the long command options now so
> you'll see --format not -F. What version of pgAdmin are you using?

Sorry, I am mistaken it seems to be correct now.

What actually happens is that when you enter the backup window and click
"OK" it flicks over to the Messages screen, but nothing happens. A
backup file appears but it's 0 bytes in length.

>> Worse, you can't copy and paste the command line because the cursor keeps
>> dipping down to the next line.
>>

> Works fine for me. What platform are you on?

I hold down shift, press up-arrow and it flicks down. This is on 1.8.4
on the Vista platform.
>> With restore, you select the file to restore, but the OK button remains
>> greyed out.
>>
> That'll happen if you select a file that isn't a valid dump file
> recognised by pg_restore. Note that PLAIN dumps must be restored using
> psql manually.
Yes, thanks for this - I've discovered that! Probably a frequent first
mistake.

Thanks

David.