MVCC overheads

From: Pete Stevenson <etep(dot)nosnevets(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: MVCC overheads
Date: 2016-07-07 16:45:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi postgresql hackers -

I would like to find some analysis (published work, blog posts) on the overheads affiliated with the guarantees provided by MVCC isolation. More specifically, assuming the current workload is CPU bound (as opposed to IO) what is the CPU overhead of generating the WAL, the overhead of version checking and version creation, and of garbage collecting old and unnecessary versions? For what it’s worth, I am working on a research project where it is envisioned that some of this work can be offloaded.

Thank you,
Pete Stevenson