Re: Challenges with messages

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: "Harald Armin Massa[legacy]" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Challenges with messages
Date: 2009-03-01 14:43:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

Harald Armin Massa[legacy] a écrit :
> [...]
> I am in the process of translating pgadmin3.po to German.
>
> Some challenges with messages:
>
> -------------------------------
>
> Execute query / Generate SQL from Graphical Query Builder Model
> Execute query, write result to file / Generate SQL from Graphical
> Query Builder Model
>
> usually that "/" seperates two rather equivalent actions. But
> generating SQL from a Builder Model OR Executing a Query are quite
> different things.
> What is the setting behind this strings?

Not quite sure of what you means. These are strings for a button in the
toolbar. If you are on the query tab, this button will execute the
query. If you are on the GQB tab, this button will build the SQL.

It would be better if the hint was modified when the tab is changed.
That's done on a patch yet to be commited.

> -------------------------------
>
> There are Strings
>

> Get Token
>
> and
>
> Gettoken
>
> I am not shure if "gettoken" is really a word, but I am no native
> english speaker (we Germans do not have any problem to connect)
>
> BUT: are this really 2 different things or just a typo?

There are the same things. I kept the Gettoken one (on a patch yet to be
commited).

> -----------
>
> DESC, FIRST, LAST, NULL .... is there a way to escape strings to
> prevent them from translating? I am QUITE sure that those should NOT
> be translated; as I guess PostgreSQL will choke on
>
> SELECT AUTHOR from BOOKS order ABSTEIGEND NULLEN ZUERST

Did you actually really get this query? because DESC, FIRST, LAST, NULL
are, AFAIK, only part of the UI strings. They are not used to build SQL
queries.

> ------
>
> same goes with
>
> autovacuum_freeze_max_age
> autovacuum_freeze_min_age
>
> etc.

I took a look at this. These are strings used in the properties panel.
They have to be different from the ones on the autovacuum tab, but we
can use something else than the parameters' names. I'll change this.

> ------
>
> new String "5 seconds" - there is allready a string named %s seconds,
> which should be used.
>
> (and more "time-types" as "1 second, 10 seconds, 5 minutes, 30
> minutes" should be upgraded to %s <unit>)

There's a much worse problem with this. I'll work on it.

> ------
>
> Connection Limit and Connection limit should be spelled the same way

Done.

Thanks for all.

--
Guillaume.