Re: What's the deal with this site? - More FYI than anything else...

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(dot)ganesan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's the deal with this site? - More FYI than anything else...
Date: 2009-02-20 19:47:29
Lists: pgsql-www

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Chander Ganesan wrote:
>> http://eastside.wirebound.net/
>>
>> I notice that its pretty deep in the google (showing up in search
>> results fairly high), and seems to be a mirror of some sort.
>>
>> Just noticed it and was wondering if that's something that's
>> known/sanctioned....or if its a mirror that is misbehaving.
>
> eastside is one of the static mirror frontends for www.postgresql.org.
I suspected that. However, shouldn't it show up as wwwX.postgresql.org,
as opposed to directly via eastside? The fact that it's getting into
google's cache via a different name seems like kind of a problem, since
google doesn't like the duplicate content (for one, AFAIK it hurts
pagerank)...and you've now got things so that if eastside goes
away/changes names in the future, people will get a bunch of bad links
from google for awhile...

Perhaps a permanennt redirect from the eastside URL to the same URL with
the www.postgresql.com domain?