Re: More message encoding woes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More message encoding woes
Date: 2009-03-31 19:39:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm leaning towards the idea of trying out all the spellings of the
> database encoding we have in encoding_match_list. That gives the best
> user experience, as it just works, and it doesn't seem that complicated.

How were you going to check --- use that idea of translating a string
that's known to have a translation? OK, but you'd better document
somewhere where translators will read it "you must translate this string
first of all". Maybe use a special string "Translate Me First" that
doesn't actually need to be end-user-visible, just so no one sweats over
getting it right in context. (I can see "syntax error" being
problematic in some translations, since translators will know it is
always just a fragment of a larger message ...)