Re: SET TRANSACTION and SQL Standard

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET TRANSACTION and SQL Standard
Date: 2009-01-09 14:14:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> I notice that we allow commands such as
>
> SET TRANSACTION read only read write read only;
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION read only read only read only;
>
> Unsurprisingly, these violate the SQL Standard:
> * p.977 section 19.1 syntax (1)
> * p.957 section 17.3 syntax (2)

Well, we allow a lot of things. Violations of the SQL standard happen
when a command that appears in the standard doesn't do what the standard
says. Allowing commands that are not in the standard is not a violation.

While there is no huge use case for these particular cases, tolerating
redundant options is sometimes useful.