Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?
Date: 2009-01-09 13:18:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

damien clochard wrote:
> Hi !
>
> As a disclaimer : i'm involved in the organization of the next European
> PGday and i'm also webmaster or the pgday.fr site.
>
> i recently asked myself « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
> conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
> "many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.
>
> i gave a sneek peak to others communities, especially Mozilla with
> their "Mozilla Party" (mozillaparty.com) and Python with the Pycon
> conferences (pycon.org), and i think we should have a website or
> something to answer the question : "when is the next PostgreSQL
> conference near me ?". And i think the pgday.org website should do that.
>
> For the moment, the pgday.org site is the home of the European pgday but
> this website could easily be moved to pgday.eu . That would even make
> more sense. I'm not sure exactly who manages these domains but i guess
> it's kinda possible.

Makes sense.

IIRC it's been registered by the Italians, but they have previously
stated they don't mind handing it off.

> As i see it, this new pgday.org website doesn't have to be shiny and
> flashy. It would be just a web page linking all the forthcoming events (
> UK, brazil, etc... ).

We already have the main website events listing for that. I don't think
I like to see it fragmented.

We have enough different "portals" already, I think. If they're not good
enough, we should make them better instead of just creating another one.

> The pgday.org domain could used to provide sub-domains to the local
> events , like portland.pgday.org and such

That, however, could be a good usage for it.

Another usage could be to actually provide software for the sites, and
not just a pointer. Like pentabarf (if someone can make the damned thing
work - and preferrably also skinned) or something.

//Magnus