pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?
Date: 2009-01-09 13:04:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi !

As a disclaimer : i'm involved in the organization of the next European
PGday and i'm also webmaster or the pgday.fr site.

i recently asked myself « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
"many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.

i gave a sneek peak to others communities, especially Mozilla with
their "Mozilla Party" (mozillaparty.com) and Python with the Pycon
conferences (pycon.org), and i think we should have a website or
something to answer the question : "when is the next PostgreSQL
conference near me ?". And i think the pgday.org website should do that.

For the moment, the pgday.org site is the home of the European pgday but
this website could easily be moved to pgday.eu . That would even make
more sense. I'm not sure exactly who manages these domains but i guess
it's kinda possible.

As i see it, this new pgday.org website doesn't have to be shiny and
flashy. It would be just a web page linking all the forthcoming events (
UK, brazil, etc... ).

The pgday.org domain could used to provide sub-domains to the local
events , like portland.pgday.org and such

http://pycon.org is a good example of what i'm talking about.

What do you think of it ?