Re: Server Status window work

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Status window work
Date: 2009-01-07 22:08:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Dave Page a écrit :
>>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>>> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>>>
>>> Doesn't seem to make much difference on OS X. I certainly can't
>>> rearrange tabs etc.
>>>
>> Works for me on Linux and Mac OS X. I can close tabs and rearrange them.
>
> Oh, I see - you've got all the cool functionality turned off :-(

I suppose the cool functionality is wxAUI_NB_TAB_SPLIT :)

>> The new patch attached fixes the crash issue I had yesterday.
>
> Not entirely - if you close the Log tab, it seems to crash when
> pgAdmin is closed.

You're right. The new version fixes this.

>> It also
>> adds a close box on each tab and customizes the wxAuiNotebook style.
>
> Let's get it to work with wxAUI_NB_DEFAULT_STYLE. That allows the
> split functionality which is what I think makes this change worthwhile
> - the ability to view more than one tab at once and arrange them as
> required. A quick test shows it needs a new way to figure out which
> tabs are visible (and therefore need refreshing), and there are some
> sizing issues which appear to all be our old friend the generic
> wxListCtrl.

Actually, I find this great. It works nice on Mac OS X, but I disabled
it on v2 because it crashes the linux build. Perhaps I did something
wrong but even the auidemo sample from wxGTK crashes.

(re-enables the "cool functionality", so crashes a lot on my laptop)

> It also looks a bit nicer than having the close box on all tabs I think.

You mean, to have a close box only on the active tab? (aka
wxAUI_NB_CLOSE_ON_ACTIVE_TAB)

>> Thinking again about it, a view menu would be the only way to re-add a
>> tab that has been closed previously. (in the current patch, the only way
>> to re-open a tab previously closed is to close and open the server
>> status dialog)
>
> Yeah - plus it's where we put the option to reset the layout to the
> default view.

OK.

>> One last question: should we record the new display (ie tabs closed and
>> rearranged) so we can completely restore it next time the user opens the
>> server status dialog?
>
> Yes - but isn't that handled by the AUI code and associated functions
> as per frmMain etc?

With the perspective code, yes. I need to better understand it to code
it for the server status window.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
serverstatus_p1_v3.patch text/x-patch 14.4 KB