Re: new /about/sponsors page?

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: new /about/sponsors page?
Date: 2008-12-31 15:45:31
Lists: pgsql-www

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> I just noticed we got a redesigned
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors a few weeks ago there are
> some things I would like to mention about that one. While I don't
> generally disagree with the direction this is heading towards I would
> really like to coment on a few things:
>
> * afaik there was no public discussion that I'm aware on (except for
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2008-04/msg00018.php and
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2008-08/msg00031.php both do
> not seem to have any kind of conclusion)
> * who is part of the mentioned "sponsorship commitee"(is that the
> fundraising group, -core, -www, -advocacy or what?) and how can one
> contact it(nor URL or emailaddress is provided)?
> * why is the page randomly mixing PostgreSQL(platinum,gold and silver)
> and postgresql.org(bronze) - the later is usually used to refer to
> infrastructure stuff and the former to the software product.
> * why was hub.org(and some others) dropped from the list?
> * can we rephrase ">X year" as "at least X years" or such to make it
> more obvious?
> * do we really need that many categories? why not do what we did for
> the contributor listing - ie regular contributors and major ones?
> * is Fujitsu really headquarted in .au or should we actually listen
> fastware as some sort of subsidiary?(this was probably wrong forever)
On that same note, I've been told for over two years now that there
would be some recognition for financial contributors as well. What
happened to that? Is there documentation somewhere that lists how the
different sponsorship levels are determined (i.e., how did company A get
to be "Platinum", was it an arbitrary decision by someone, was there
some formula that determined that).

On another note (but somewhat related), there should be something in
place to at the very least, send a "thank you" letter to financial
contributors. When OTG makes a contribution, we're not so much
interested in the "thank you" as we are in hearing from someone that my
contribution to PostgreSQL through SPI got dumped in the correct
"bucket" (i.e., didn't get allocated to some other project). In any
case, a thank you would perhaps encourage donors to continue to donate...

I would assume that a set of criteria would also help companies that
want to be more involved and receive recognition for their involvement.
They could use the criteria as a guideline as to how to get on that list.

For example, Josh (Berkus) had one told me that being on the sponsors
page required that you employ a developer...that's something that is on
a longer-term list for us (now that we know about it...)

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.