Re: BUG #4586: Supporting of Binary instead Bytea for Primary Keys

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Miroslav Nachev <miro(at)space-comm(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4586: Supporting of Binary instead Bytea for Primary Keys
Date: 2008-12-17 09:19:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

(please keep the mailing list cc'd. (or take this to a more relevant
list, actually)).

Miroslav Nachev wrote:
> Thank you very much. How can I map PostgreSQL UUID to JPA Hibernate with
> annotations? Serializable or BigInteger or byte[] or java.util.UUID?

No idea.

> The big disadvantage of bytea is that it is not possible to use that type in
> indexes and primary keys. Probably this restriction is because is very slow
> column type because instead to keep the data this column keeps pointer to
> the data.

Huh? Of course it's possible:

postgres=# CREATE TABLE foo (id bytea PRIMARY KEY);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
"foo_pkey" for table "foo"
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# CREATE INDEX i_foo ON foo (id);
CREATE INDEX
postgres=#

--
Heikki Linnakangas