Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends

From: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
To: Kurt Harriman <harriman(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends
Date: 2008-12-14 08:25:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kurt Harriman wrote:
> B) let the build farm do a nightly build with a C++ compiler
> merely as a test to verify that no C++ compilation errors
> are introduced, but continue to use C 'officially' for
> builds and releases; or
This was the intent of my suggestion.

There can be advantages in that you can use a lot of C99 (and
still port to non-C99 envs eg MSVC) if you have a few ifdefs
to use std::vector instead of dynamic arrays, but the bigger issue
(for me) was always been that the name mangling means that
you find out pretty quickly if you have a mismatch between
declaration and definition of functions.

Attempting the link with C++ mangling can put this to rest,
even if you never try running it.