Re: WIP: default values for function parameters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Michael Meskes" <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Grzegorz Jaskiewicz" <gj(at)pointblue(dot)com(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: WIP: default values for function parameters
Date: 2008-12-14 05:55:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Greg Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> What if relabeling support were to spread some more?
>>
>> The only example I can think of besides XML is JSON. There might be a
>> few more. Basically, relabelling is a handy shortcut when you are
>> serializing data and want to avoid specifying a list of columns and an
>> (almost) identical list of labels.

> The whole relabeling thing seems like a seriously silly idea.

I wouldn't say that it's silly. What I do say is that it makes no sense
to imagine that it would be used at the same time as named parameters.
The entire point of something like XMLELEMENT is that it takes a list of
undifferentiated parameters, which therefore do not need to have names
so far as the function is concerned.