spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance

From: Liraz Siri <liraz(at)turnkeylinux(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance
Date: 2008-12-08 17:40:15
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

One of the reasons often cited as to why MySQL is more popular than
PostgreSQL is ease-of-use. We're hoping to help change that. We've just
released a PostgreSQL software appliance we believe will make it easier
for people to try out PostgreSQL and see just how far the software has
come.

Let me back up a bit...

I am one of the developers for TurnKey Linux, a new opensource project
that develops a family of lightweight installable live CDs optimized for
various server-type tasks including LAMP, Ruby on Rails, Django, Joomla,
Drupal, MediaWiki, and others:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appliances

This type of pre-integrated, ready-to-use system is typically called a
software appliance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_appliance

Our project's goal is to build software appliances that are easy to use,
easy to deploy and free. In a nutshell, we believe everything that can
be easy, should be easy!

We just released TurnKey PostgreSQL, an easy-to-use, lightweight,
installable live CD of the PostgreSQL relational database engine that
can run on real hardware in addition to most types of virtual machines.
It features a Mac OS X-themed Web management interface and a Python
configuration and installation console. It is based on Ubuntu 8.04.1
Hardy LTS, and is designed to provide users with a pre-integrated,
automatically updated, turn-key operating system environment that is
carefully built from the ground up with the minimum components needed to
run PostgreSQL with maximum usability, efficiency, and security.

Key features:

* auto-updated daily with latest security patches
* MacOS X themed web management interface
* easy to use configuration console (written from scratch in Python)
* packaged as an installable Live CD that runs on real machines and VMs
* minimal footprint (152MB) - includes only minimum required components
* based on Ubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy LTS

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appliances/postgresql

Check it out and tell us what you think!

Also, we need help spreading
the word that an easy-to-use PostgreSQL software appliance exists. Any
ideas?

Cheers,
Liraz

--