Re: Re: [BUGS] libpq does not manage SSL callbacks properly when other libraries are involved.

From: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PoolSnoopy <tlatzelsberger(at)gmx(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [BUGS] libpq does not manage SSL callbacks properly when other libraries are involved.
Date: 2008-11-19 09:33:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> This is not something we would typically backpatch because of the danger
>>> of introducing some unexpected change in libpq. We can provide a patch
>>> to anyone who needs it, or if the community wants it backpatched I can
>>> certainly do that.

If we start deciding we are not backpatching fixes that we know cause
crashes, where is the limit?

>> It isn't? It does seem like a bug, which we do typically backpatch ...
>>

> Well, it's a risk-reward tradeoff. In this case it seems like there's
> a nontrivial risk of creating new bugs against fixing a problem that
> evidently affects very few people. I concur with Bruce's feeling that
> we shouldn't backpatch ... at least not now. Once the patch has been
> through beta testing we could reconsider.
>
> regards, tom lane

I would like to see this backpatched. Even though the PostgreSQL
community hasn't seen a lot of complaints, there have been a number of
reports where the bug has caused crashes. Ubuntu launchpad has 6
duplicates for this bug. php has a bug report for it. So it's not like
people don't know about it. They just didn't know how to fix it. All
that said, I agree it's safer to wait until the 8.4 beta cycle has given
this code change a good run before proceeding. In the mean time
distributions can either backpatch it themselves or wait for PostgreSQL
community to apply the patch.

For the environment where I have this problem, I think it's still going
to be a up hill battle to get RedHat to incorporate the fix into RHEL5.
That's whichever route the community takes with backpatching.

Russell.